zondag 19 augustus 2012

Alexis Morgan – My lady mage

The first book in the Warriors of the Mist series, published July 3, 2012.
Genre: fantasy romance

My Lady Mage

A cursed destiny. A band of warriors. And one troubled kingdom.
It is whispered in Agathia that the legendary warriors of the mist-cursed by the gods-can be summoned only when a champion is needed and the cause is just. Gideon, their captain, knows this to be the one path that will lead his men to redemption-lest they face an eternity of damnation.
Years have passed since anyone has journeyed to the river's edge, but times are desperate. Oppressed by a cruel guardian whose dark magic threatens to destroy her people, the beautiful and courageous Merewen calls upon the bespelled warriors. In Gideon she finds more than a champion, and in his arms, more than protection. However, their enemies are fighting with a power darker than anything than they imagined, and should Gideon fail, she will lose everything she holds dear-including her heart.


I am a big fan of Alexis Morgan’s Paladins of Darkness and Talion series, and I am sad that those series are discontinued by the publisher (I hate publishers who do that!). So I was curious about this new fantasy series she has written.
Too much time has gone by since I read this book to write a nice summary, but I did like the story. Not as much as her paranormal warriors, but it is nice enough.

I am a bit on the fence about Lady Merewen, she is strong and determined enough to try to summon the warriors of legend, but when they do appear, she faints. She is grateful for their appearance, as she needs their help to fight her evil uncle. When her father died, he took possession of the estate, her beloved horses, and her. He abuses his own wife, and Merewen is used as nothing more than a servant. The brutes he employs take joy in humiliating the women, and Merewen just knows that his captain will rape her whenever he gets the chance.
People are disappearing without a trace, lifestock is killed without a clue, something evil is going on.
Still, Merewen tries to take care of Gideon and his men, and doesn’t want them to get hurt. Or for her people to get hurt. She has a kind of magic, she can heal animals, and she has a special bond with the magnificent horses that roam the countryside. She has no idea how to keep herself safe, how important she is to her people, and Gideon really takes her to task for that. Then there is the attraction between them, an attraction Gideon does not want to act upon. He does not want to invite the Gods torn upon him and his men again, until his Goddess appears and tells him it is meant to be.

All 5 warriors have a shield with their avatar, Gideon’s is a white gyrfalcon, and they can come to life to fight alongside their warriors. I loved that bit. They are all different.

There is also a second storyline that I enjoyed very much, of one of the other warriors and Merewen’s abused aunt. After all when her evil uncle is defeated, she will be a widow. But defeating her uncle is only the first step in fighting the evil that scours the land. The next books will continue the story.


I liked Gideon, and how he and his men tried to atone for their past sins, though the punishment by the gods was very harsh in my opinion. Sleeping beneath the river until called upon again, and then having only 3 months to make things right. They were all honourable men, and I liked them all. I am looking forward to the next book.

7 stars.



Autobuy author

Buy The Book Now at The Book Depository, Free Delivery World Wide

© 2012 Reviews by Aurian

10 opmerkingen:

  1. I do want to read it, but at the same time I do not know. Is it fantasy romance? Cos I never fall as hard for that

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Yes, it definately is romance Blodeuedd, I would have like a little bit more action/fighting.

      Verwijderen
  2. It sounds good! I haven't read a fantasy in a long time, and I've had my eye on this one for a while.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. It is nice, not awesome. Perhaps the next book will be :)

      Verwijderen
  3. Hm... this one sounds pretty good. I also love that cover. I may have to try this one!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. I'm curious about Gideon, but I confess I'm difficult with fantasy books, I don't real a lot. But I'm definitely intrigued.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. If you are not into fantasy, don't read it, there are so many urban fantasy / paranormal romance books out there!

      Verwijderen
  5. Hmm, this is a nice sounding romance fantasy. Might have to look into it. And I have to agree with you about publishers killing a series. Boooo on them! Thank you!

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. It happens way too often to series I love. If only the authors were allowed to selfpublish the rest, I would happily buy them.

      Verwijderen